Deacons: Carer of Souls
The model verse for our new Deacon ministry comes from Ezekiel 34:16 “I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak, but the sleek and the strong I will watch over and shepherd with justice.” RSV. This verse shows us five principles for Pastoral Care within a local congregation.
- To lead to Christ those who are lost. Luke 14:23
- To restore to Christ who have fallen away. Luke 15:4
- To heal those who are wounded. 2 Corinthians 2:7-8
- To strengthen those who are weak. Luke 22:31
- To guard those who are strong. John 21:17
With the help of the Holy Spirit, our Deacons will work towards these five strategies and focus on our people. Through learning, training, and experience they are becoming “physicians of the soul.” Pastoral care is caring for the inner life of our people, the mending and nurturing of the inner-person, recognizing that God is the chief carer of souls.
Don't know your Deacon? Contact Janet Salmann at 772-286-9958
Resources for Deacons:
The Reformed Pastor by Richard Baxter http://www.ccel.orTg/ccel/baxter/pastor